Sevlievo is situated in the central part of Bulgaria, nearby the geographic centre of the country, 178 km far from the capital Sofia and 283 km far from Varna. The earliest traces of life in the region date back to the late Neolithic period (about 8000 years BC). There are still some Thracian tombs left. Hotalich Fortress is the last mediaeval town. It had been inhabited for more than 1000 years and functioned as an important defensive centre. Hotalich existed for centuries together with the settlement on the site of the contemporary town, known as "Servi" and "Selvi". In the middle of the XIX c. the development of crafts led to the concentration of large sums of money in the crafts' societies. Commercial trips far and across the Ottoman Empire, Europe and Russia enriched general knowledge. The need for enlightenment occurred. In 1834 St. Prophet Eliah Church was restored. In 1836 the mediaeval Batoshevski Monastery was re-built. In the middle of the 50's the prominent master of the National Revival Period Kolyo Ficheto built the stone bridge over Rositsa River. In 1844 the famous well-to-do craftsman and merchant Hadji Stoyan Nicholov invested his own money in the building of a huge school.
Sevlievo is established as an administrative and military, strategic and economic centre of the region in 10th century. On a naturally fortified place, 3 km to the northwest of the nowadays town, a massive defensive fortress was built up. A large for that time mediaeval town with a detached infrastructure, four living areas, two churches, a work shop for metal and ceramic processing is detach around it.
The educational and cultural traditions of Sevlievo proceeded after July 2nd, 1877 when the town was liberated from the Turkish yoke. As a major cultural institute, the community centre has existed for 130 years. The House of Culture Mara Belcheva became the new centre of cultural events.
The mediaeval Batoshevo Monastery with its splendid architecture and marvelous frescoes, altars and fret iconostasis is extremely attractive. The rooms of the monastery offer possibilities for a longer stay. Quite interesting are some of the ancient churches in the villages in the region, where there are unique fret altars and ancient icons, a beautiful church plate from ХVІІІ and ХІХ century. Only 9 km to the west of Sevlievo, in the village of Sennik - the birthplace of the world famous champion of free - style fight Dan Kolov is his house located, which has been turned into a museum.
Sevlievo cultural life marks its beginning 130 years ago with the establishment of the public cultural club Razvitie (Development). Till the present day it is a centre of a steady cultural activity. In the creative biography of the dance troupe to the cultural club numerous concerts in the municipality and Bulgaria are listed. It is well known by the onlookers - on in France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Holland, Russia. Children's free-choice school of art has long years of traditions and it has enriched the musical education of thousands of children in Sevlievo and children educated there have reached the world stages. The puppet theater and the cultural club theater bring joy to their admirers as well.
· 14 February – Day of vine-grower