Razgrad is situated along the valley of Beli Lom River in the direction southeast - northwest, 60 km away from Ruse, 130 km away from Varna, 55 km away from Shumen and 36 km away from Targovishte. The first class road Ruse - Varna and a railway line, which are the shortest strategic connection between the Danube and the Black Sea, pass through the municipality's administrative centre. By the statistics from 1999 the town of Razgrad has 53576 inhabitants.
Archaeologists have not determined Razgrad's birth date with precision yet. It is only certain that people have inhabited the picturesque valley of Beli Lom River since ancient times. The three prehistoric settlement mounds testify to that. The biggest attraction of the region is Sveshtari Thracian Tomb dating back to the 3rd century BC - included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
The thirty burial mounds and the archaeological finds in the Hissarlaka area prove that there was a busy settlement there as early as the ancient Thracians' time. Centuries later, Romans built upon the ruins of the Thracian settlement the strategic town Abritus Fortress, whose name was connected with their bloody battle with the Goths in 251, in which the Emperor himself was killed. The 835 gold coins (4 kg) from the 5th century are a remnant of that civilization. This is the largest gold coin treasure in Bulgaria. The local history museum also possesses the Golden Pegasus, the collective find of Thracian bronze relieves, etc.
The predecessor of Razgrad was the mediaeval Bulgarian settlement Hrasgrad of the 8th century, whose name it inherited. After the Ottoman Empire conquered Bulgaria at the end of 14th century, the invaders wrote the settlement's name as Hezargrad, Hezezgrad or Hrazgrad, while the Bulgarians called it Razgrad. There are two cultural monuments from the time of the Ottomans in Razgrad - Ibrahim Pasha Mosque (1616), a work of the local Bulgarians' building genius, and the Clock Tower, which is a symbol of the town.
The town has its rest objects, of which especially important are the rest zones in the Pchelina area, the youth park and the town park. Specific rest objects are the dam lakes, which are the citizens' favorite places for fishing and rest. The attractive tourist objects situated on the municipality's territory – Voden Hunting Reserve, Pchelina area, the archaeological complex Sboryanovo and Sveshtari Tomb (a sepulchre) in it, the remains of the antique town Abritus and the Ethnographical Museum in the village of Pobit Kamak - are a potential for attracting investments into tourism, which is not a traditional branch of the region's economy.
The development of museum work is an important factor in the development of the region's culture through the years. Its beginning was laid as early as 9 years after the National Liberation in 1878 by the botanist and public worker Acad. Anani Yavashev, who was born in Razgrad. The History Museum, founded by him in 1887, now is works with and popularizes over 53 000 movable cultural monuments. The largest exhibition is the archaeological, which has a depository, a specialized library, restoration studios and a photographic darkroom. There are also the specialized museums Dimitar Nenov and Stanka and Nikola Ikonomovi.
The temple St. Nikolay Choudotvorets (1860) - the first dome basilica to be built in the town - is also among the monuments of the National and the Church Revival of Razgrad in 19th century. Momina Cheshma (Lass' Fountain) iis also a symbol of the town. This original and exquisitely worked cast-iron statue of a girl in a classic style is the only female figure of its kind in Bulgaria. The archaeological reserve Abritus with an area of 1 000 dka is a cultural monument of national importance. The settlement dates from the Roman era (1-4 centiry AD).