The first written source about the town of Ardino is the notes of the French research worker Ogjust Vickenel from 1847. The old name of Ardino is Egri-Dere - called after the name of the little river, which runs through the settlement. During the Ottoman rule district Egri-Dere covered central geographic lay in the sultan's land Sultaneri. After the Russian - Turkish war it was joined to the newly created Gyoumyourdjinski region, Vilayet Odrin. At the end of the 19th century Egri-Dere is a little settlement with several sheds at the market and a mosque (preserved up to the present), with a small narrow bridge over one of the gulches. According to information from the Turkish salname from year 1898 the population of Kaza (district) Egri-Dere was 34 338 inhabitants.
The region of Ardino is rich in historical monuments and places. The ancient road passing along Arda River and through Ksantiyiski Pass (Eledje) was used during the Middle Ages and connected the interior of the Thrace with Aegean region. 15 km away from Ardino is the Devil's Bridge, built at the beginning of the 15th century. Up to the present it stands the pressure of the waters of river Arda. 2 km away from the town are situated the so called Eagle's Rocks. 500 meters away from the Eagle's Rocks is the Thracian stronghold Kaleto. It is fully destroyed. In 1979 it was announced a historical monument.
The region of Ardino disposes of wonderful conditions for tourism. On its territory there is a considerable number of holiday houses suitable for eco and country tourism. The tourist complex Silver Birches is 7 km away from the town of Ardino, on the road Kardzhali - Smolyan. It is a natural birch reserve with total area of 3 680 decares. There were built eight modern chalets with places for amusement and relaxation. The air in the complex heals pulmonary and allergic diseases.