The town is an heir of the Roman fortress settlement Casta ad Montanezium, also known as Montana. The archaeological excavations proved that the long history of the settlement started on the ridge of Kalebair Hill. The strategic position on the crossroad of important roads determined the position of the Roman town. In the III century it was the most significant town in the province of Dakia under the name of Ripenziz. During the Turkish, rule it was first mentioned as Kutlovitsa in a document from 1575. After the Liberation the name Goliama Kutlovitsa was given to the settlement and it had less than 1000 inhabitants. In 1891 for the first time it was declared a town. The town became a craft centre and a major stock market. Tradesmen from all over the country as well as from abroad – Turkey, Romania, Serbia, came to the annual market. After the First World War many refugees from Tsaribrod settled here. In 1945 the town was renamed to Mihailovgrad, and in 1993 took the name Montana.
For 50 years the History Museum has researched, collected, preserved and popularized the cultural and historical wealth of the region. The first archaeological excavations of the Roman settlement in 1915, under the fortress Montana can be considered as the beginning of the museum work in the town. Another landmark in Montana is the Record Office – priceless documents are preserved here from all spheres of social, political, cultural and economical life in the region. You also can visit the Art Gallery Kiril Petrov. According to the specialists this is one of the richest art galleries in the country.
Bus and railway transport are the two types of transport connecting the town with the rest of the country. There are regular bus lines to Sofia, Lom, Vidin, Belogradchik, Pleven, Vratsa and to the smaller settlements. Bus and railway stations are close to each other.
The remains of the old Rome fortress Kastra ad Montanezium are situated south from the town. From this name comes the name of the town. Most of the objects, found there, are in the local History Museum. At a distance of only 22 km west from the town Lopushna Monastery is located. Montana Dam has been turned into a wonderful place for recreation, sport, water tourism and fishing. Many holiday bases and establishments are built here and there is a regular bus transport.