Chiprovtsi is a very old town, settled at the foot of the Balkan Mountain, 30 km from Montana. Ogosta River flows through the town, coming from the high parts of the mountains. The name Chiprovtsi comes after the Roman name of copper – kuprum. First it was named Kiprovets, then Chiprovtsi (renamed in 1956). In Roman times Chiprovtsi was a major mining centre. Excavations have uncovered a catholic monastery complex dating back to the 15th-17th centuries - a bishop's seat of the Sofia Catholic Eparchy during the time of Petur Solinat, a missionary from the Order of Franciscans who built and established the Catholic Church in Bulgaria. In the 16th-17th centuries the monastery was a cultural and educational centre of the Bulgarian Catholics. The Uprising of Chiprovtsi in 1688 was organized by Catholic notables against Ottoman rule.
Chiprovtsi is very famous for its carpet industry which dates back to the 17th century. The ornaments of the old carpets were made in a geometric way. Generally, the colour harmony is based on the unison of cold and warm colours. These pieces of art have been made by hand all through their existence. During the 19th century the weavers implanted in their perfect handicraft wares all colours, geometric symbols, compositions of plants and animals. There is a belief that these symbols have magic power. Mystery and simplicity, order and harmony, past, present and future in the infinity- you perceive and receive all these things from one of the Bulgarian miracles - the Chiprovtsi carpet. Nowadays the production of the carpets is still reality.
Chiprovtsi originates from Thracian time. Chiprovtsi reached its economic, political and cultural boom in the first three centuries under foreign rule. Goldsmith’s trade developed quicker in comparison to all other handicrafts. High artistic production had outlined the town as the biggest goldsmith centre on the Balkan Peninsula in the 16th and the 17th centuries. Churches, monasteries, schools, rich and beauty houses were built.
Chiprovtsi Monastery St. Joan Rilski is located 6 km northeast from the town. According to the legend it was raised in the 10th century, in the beginning of the Christianity. It is a century - old centre of Bulgarian education and it has been burned 6 times during the Ottoman rule. The Lopushanski Monastery St. Joan Predtecha is located about 20 km northeast from the town. The prominent Bulgarian poet Ivan Vazov often came to it. The icons in it are made by icon-painters from Samokov.
There is a regular bus connection with Montana and bus transport to some of the small villages in the region.