Settlers from Odrin Thracia established the village. But the historical roots of the settlement date back to ancient times. The evidence is the old amphora from 6th century BC, found at the South beach. Kiten is the successor of the fortress called Urdoviza situated on the cape itself. The Romans called the settlement Oroudiza. The town existed till the fall under the Turkish domination, and after that it was abandoned. One can still see ruins of the town lying on the cape. Re-established in 1931 by fugitives from Greece and immigrants from the surrounding villages, since 1970 Kiten has developed as an attractive centre for many tourists.
There is an adequate number of private lodgings, cozy hotels and rest houses on the beach of Kiten. To the South of the town are situated 5 camping sites: Kiten, Yug, Koral, Nestinarka, Arapia, which offer bungalows at comparatively low prices.
There are lots of small restaurants and snack bars that serve different food – Bulgarian, Turkish, Russian and Greek. The night bars and discos, the sport complex, swimming pools and the fun-fair in Kiten offer а variety of amusements.