Pleven has a centuries and rich in events history. It originated in Thracian times on the place of today’s park Kailaka and it was named Storgozia, which name was preserved in Roman times too. After its destruction by the barbarians, the Slavs rebuilt it under the name Kamenets. A second settlement was set up to the north of it which was named Pleven. Later on the two settlements were united and they were first mentioned under the name Pleven in 1266. After 12th century the town developed as a craftsmen and trade centre. The town put up a ferocious resistance to the Turkish invaders and that is the reason for its being destroyed and for its population being slaughtered, expelled and converted to Islam after its downfall. In 1696 Pleven was conquered and set on fire by the Wallachian Chieftain Mihail Vityaz.
Most of the landmarks are related to the Russian-Turkish War of Liberation. About 200 monuments remind to the generations about the most sanguinary battles, which took place here. There is a Mausoleum – Ossuary, dedicated to the Russian and Romanian soldiers killed during the war in the centre of the town. The Museum of Liberation stands not far from it. Another landmark is the Panorama "Pleven Epopee 1877". It is built to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Pleven Epopee, on analogy of the Borodin Panorama in Moscow. You can also visit the Museum of History, situated not far from the centre. It was dedicated to the citizens, who died in the Serbian-Bulgarian War in 1885. The unique of its kind park Kailaka, is situated in immediate proximity to the town, in the south side of the valley of Tuchenitsa River.
Pleven is a big transport centre. There are regular bus lines to Sofia, Veliko Tarnovo, Lovech, Troyan, Levski and a lot of other small settlements. The central bus station is on Republika Square. The railway station is next the bus station, on the same square. Pleven is situated on the main railway line Sofia – Gorna Oryahovitsa – Varna.
The village of Grivitsa is situated at a distance of 6 km east of the town. The population of the village and the region had taken active part in the war for Liberation. A mausoleum in memory of the killed Romanian soldiers is erected in a spacious park with a lot of monuments. One can go there from the town by train or bus.
The town Pordim is situated at a distance of 21 km to the east of Pleven. The General Headquarters of the Russian army was located there during the War of Liberation. There is another museum – "Romanian soldier 1877-1878". A regular bus may reach it, too.