Assenovgrad is one of the oldest towns in Bulgaria. Within its surroundings more than 100 Thracian mounds were found. The town has a favourable geographic location. This fact explains its ancient name of Stanimaka, meaning fortified narrow place. In 1230 Ivan Asen II fortified and expanded Stanimaka Fortress, which explains why the fortress was renamed to Assenova Fortress, and the town – to Assenovgrad .
The History Museum with its three sections: Archaeology, Renaissance and Ethnography is a must see in the town. There is also a Paleontological museum: some skeletons and fossils of animals, having lived 7-8 million years ago are exhibited here. The town has several Renaissance style houses with original architecture and beautiful carvings.
Assenovgrad is connected to the rest of the country mostly by bus and railway transport. There are regular bus lines to Plovdiv, Smolyan, Chepelare, Pamporovo, Bachkovo Monastery, Haskovo, Kardjali.
Assenovgrad owes its fame to the marvelous and picturesque religious ceremonies and festivities. The oldest religious ceremony is the taking out the miraculous icon of Holly Mother from the Bachkovo Monastery and bringing it to the Kluviata spring. The legend tells that a shepherd found it at that place. People still believe that the icon brings health and peace of mind. The ceremony is held every year on the first day after Easter. The most significant religious festivity in the town is called Prepolovenie and was celebrated for the first time in 1896. The magnificent ceremony of taking out the Holly Mother, Ribnata Icon and bringing it to Bachkovo Monastery is held every year since then. Epiphany (Jordan’s Day) and Virgin Mary’s Day are other great festivities, held in January and August.
2 km south of the town stands the historical Assenova Fortress. 11 km south of Assenovgrad is situated the famous Bachkovo Monastery and the village of Bachkovo. One of the most interesting prehistoric sights is found in the village of Dolnoslav. There is the only cult centre, well studied, which had satisfied the religious needs of the prehistoric inhabitants of present Southern Bulgaria and Northern Greece. To visit this site one may take the buses, running in the direction of Kardjali. 9 km away from the town the world famous reserve "The Red Wall" of a total area of 3029 hectares is located. More than 600 species of plants grow there, large part of them included in the Red Book.
3 km from the town is the village of Kuklen and 23 km from Assenovgrad is the village of Narechenski Bani.