Razlog is located in Southwest Bulgaria, between 3 mountains – Rila, Pirin and Rhodopes. The town has 13 403 inhabitants. The first known settlers in these places were from the Prehistoric past (7th-2nd mill. BC). After them Thracians, Romans and Slavs have lived in this region. The accession of Razlog to the Bulgarian State took place in 847 during the time of khan Pressiyan, and its subjugation by the Turks in 1382. The name Razlog was mentioned in the Charter of the Byzantine emperor Basil II from 1019. The remains of an early Christian basilica (4th century) and the ruins of many churches and sacred places from the Middle ages and from the period of the Ottoman domination testify for the heroic struggle of the Christian population in defending their faith.
After Berlin treaty Razlog remained under Turkish domination. Its public-spirited population actively participated in the combat for the Bulgarian Enlightenment, independent church and national liberation. The most turbulent events took place during Kresna-Razlog revolt in 1878 and Ilindensko-Preobrajensko revolt in 1903 uprisings in the Pirin region developed here. The town was known under the name Mehomia until 1925.
Residential houses of the time of National Renaissance are the most prominent monuments in the town. They are located at Macedonia square and Vazrazhdane Street. The house of Parapunov at Macedonia square (5 minutes away from the central square) functions as a History Museum. Workshops and houses of craftsmen can be visited, such as weavers, knitters and creative artists – modern followers of the traditions in artistic lime molding, wood and textile processing.