The town of Dryanovo is amphiteatrically situated along the two banks of the Dryanovska River, a right tributary to the Yantra River. It lies 22 km from the city of Gabrovo with its ethnographical sites, 24 km from the mediaeval capital of Bulgaria - Veliko Tarnovo. The settlement is mentioned as a fortress on the Strinava Plateau by Byzantine chroniclers in 1186 for the first time in relation to the Uprising led by the members of the Assen dynasty (1185-1187). It is mentioned under the name of Diranav (Diranava) in a Turkish register from 1430.
Dryanovo Municipality is situated in the central part of the Forebalkan Mountain, on an area of 248,5 sq. m, with altitude varying from 180 to 640 m above the sea level. In the municipality there is a huge diversity of natural forms: magnificent mountain slopes covered with mixed broad-leaved woods, hills and rocks among which the waters of the rivers Yantra and Dryanovska are slowly floating. The climate in the region is moderately continental, with mild winter and warm and fresh summer, which makes Dryanovo a place suitable for holiday during the whole year. The town of Dryanovo could be easily reached by train or by car.
The archaeological researches has found traces of pre-historical cultures proving that the natural treasures of Dryanovo region were evaluated even in the Old Stone Age (100 000 – 10 000 years BC). Remnants from the cultures of the Thracians and the Romans also exist. During the 2nd century the citizens of Augusta Trayana (the old name of Stara Zagora) founded one of the main market places south from the Danube River. It became an important commercial and transport center. During the early Byzantine epoch Dryanovo was on the way to five mountain passageways of strategic military and economic importance. During the VIth century in the region of Dryanovo there were about eight fortifications, which were part of the Roman fortification system. Later on in the XII century the region became an important part of the protective and defensive line of the old Bulgarian capita l - Veliko Tarnovo.
Dryanovo was mentioned in historical documents for the first time in 1470. According to the tax registers of the Ottoman Empire from the second half of the 15 century, Dryanovo was free of taxes hereditary land owned by Kasam Pasha – an eminent commander and co-ruler of the European part of the Ottoman Empire. During that time the citizens of Dryanovo outnumber 500 people, only 38 of them were Bulgarian families. In the middle of the XVI century the Christian families were 242, while the Mohammedan families were only 6.
The museum Kolio Ficheto is situated in the eastern part of the town. The impressive bronze figure of the genius is in front of the museum, and it is made by the sculptor Boris Gondov. Another interesting landmark is St. Nikola Church, built up by Kolio Ficheto. It is located in the central part of the town. You can also see the Lafchiev House. No nails were used during its construction. If you like to enjoy the magnificent wood – carved ceilings, you should visit the Holy Trinity Church.
The oldest traces of life on the Balkan Peninsula were discovered in Dryanovo region - evidences for human presence from paleolithic epoch were descovered in Bacho Kiro Cave, near Dryanovo Monastery, situated in the valley Andaka River. Numerous relics of ancient villages, fortresses, pillars with inscriptions and ornaments from Thracian and Roman times (Boruna and Diskoduratera fortresses) were found there.
Dryanovo Monastery is a national monument of culture, built in 12th century. Dryanovo ecopath was built according to the programme "Bulgarian ecotracks" of the Bulgarian Association for rural and ecological tourism. The Path is situated near Dryanovo Monastery. The altitude varies between 270 and 510 meters.